Sunday, June 4, 2017

Chocolate Strawberry Sauce

Mr. Homemade Canner loves the chocolate syrup and strawberry syrup I can, so I wanted to try something new - Chocolate Strawberry Sauce. Yuuuummmmm!

Fresh Strawberries
Unfortunately where I currently live, I couldn't pick my own strawberries. 😭  So I "picked" my strawberries at a local Aldi for $1.19/lb!!  Then I washed them & hulled them --- removed the stems ---- then cut them in half.  Typically recipes want you to use a potato masher to mash them, I find I want to do it quicker than that (Plus I threw mine out in a recent move since I never used it!), so I used my cup blender to get them smashed up a bit.

Here they are after I have blended them, I dump them into my measuring cup for ease

At around 6 cups of smashed strawberries, I dumped them into my cooking pot.  I added 4 tbsp of Lemon juice, 6 tbsp of Pectin, & 2/3 cup of Nestle unsweetened cocoa powder.  Whisk very well and let it come to a boil.  Once boiling, add 4 cups of sugar all at once and return to a full boil.

Boil hard one minute and then ladle that bad boy on into your canning jars for processing for 10 minutes!

Want to see the end result??  Of course you do!

Came out a bit gelled.  I'm passing it around to family and friends to taste test!!  


Ingredients:
2/3 cup Nestle unsweetened Cocoa Powder
6 tbsp Ball Pectin
6 cups crushed/smashed strawberries
4 cups sugar
4 tbsp lemon juice

Directions:
Prepare your boiling water canner.  Heat jars and lids.
Place strawberries into large pot.  Whisk in Cocoa, Pectin, & lemon juice.  Bring to a rolling boil, stirring frequently.  Add sugar all at once and return to a rolling boil.  Boil hard for 1 minute and stir.  
Remove from heat.  If you like, skim off any foam (I didn't have any with this recipe.)
Ladle into jars leaving 1/4 - 1/2 inch headspace.  Wipe rim.  Apply lid and band just fingertip tight.
Process jars in water bath for 10 minutes.  
Remove jars and place where they can cool for 24 hours. 
Wait to hear the beautiful "ping" song as they seal shut!



Have a recipe you want me to try for you - let me know!  






Please note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

2 comments: